is for working writers, “blocked” writers, would-be writers,
and even people who don’t think of themselves as writers
As writers and as human beings, we all periodically find ourselves stopped cold.
By doubt in our own abilities.
- By uncertainties about the direction or style of particular piece of writing (or other project) we’re working on.
- By unexpected change, demands on our time, illnesses (ours or those of someone we love), or unfamiliar economic, technological, or social conditions.
- By fear of the audacity of what we hope and wish to achieve and the gap between where we are.
Fearless Writing offers a way to stop being stopped.
UPCOMING FEARLESS WRITING WORKSHOPS & RETREATS
September 2-5, 2011, Labor Day Weekend / Vermont (Friday night, all day Saturday & Sunday, Monday morning) The third annual “Fearless Writing: the Whole Enchilada” takes place on Crescent’s home-ground: literally at her home & garden on 35 acres of Vermont hilltop, just outside the small village of Saxtons River. REGISTER HERE
Here is a captioned photo-album which tells all about this particular Fearless, and how Crescent came to develop the workshop.
November, 11-November 13, 2011, / Arkansas (Friday night, all day Saturday, Sunday until 1:00 p.m.)
Located on 32 mountaintop acres in the Ozarks, Mount Sequoyah Retreat and Center is just outside of Fayetteville, Arkansas; close to town, but but high above it. Our Fearless group will have the Yancey House, with 12 guest rooms and a lowkey meeting space. Learn more, explore the facility, and/or register online.
Some of us perceive the obstacles which stop us from writing as interior — doubts, inabilities. Others see the difficulties as primarily outer and circumstantial: if only there were more time, spouses or children or elders who were less dependent.
In either case, Fearless teaches students how to harness the anxiety generated by chaotic or unknown conditions or apparently immutable limitations as a powerful creative force.
Instead of being stopped by fear, students learn to work with it — to increase their tolerance level and act anyway, instead of waiting for the uncomfortable feelings to end.
Fearless Writing is an unfailing map: one Crescent uses herself, over and over, even after 48 published books in five different genres (she’ll be adding a sixth genre in 2011, when her book on the Fearless Writing method will be published by Ten Speed Press in 2011. 25+ pages of its core ideas are included as part of the workshop).
Built around twelve percepts to which writers will return time and again, the workshop itself is
- practical: you’ll recognize common patches of psychological quicksand
- effective: you’ll have myriad techniques to avoid getting stuck
- creative: you’ll be eager to try them, because they work a little differently each time
- serious: you’ll start giving your work and its process the respect & time it needs
- playful: you’ll have fun — truly! — and be surprised by what happens next, over and over, long after you return home
- tough: you’ll quit dancing around your stuff
- tender: you’ll be in a compassionate, attentive, collegial atmosphere
Fearless Writing turns what look like insurmountable obstacles into the material from which we write, and indeed, from which we can build all-around thriving lives.
All Fearless Writing workshops and retreats are grounded in the same luminous and transformative approach, but each is structured a little differently depending on location and schedule.
The basic material can be covered in three hours, and it will have an effect. But for students to develop a fully fleshed-out writing practice, and to experience first hand how its principles work, allow at least a weekend. Here is information on the next upcoming Fearless.
No matter when and where you take a Fearless Writing workshop, one thing you won’t have to worry about is “Will this be a waste of money?” Fearless is the only writing workshop that offers an unconditional, no-hassle, complete money-back guarantee:
Crescent fully and unconditionally guarantees Fearless Writing. If, after attending
all sessions, I am not replete with satisfaction, insight, and the ability to write with greater ease and pleasure, I will email her a request for a refund, with the address
to which a check should be sent. She will gladly refund my registration fee in full
When you register for a Fearless, you’ll see that guarantee in writing, right there, before you commit one single cent.
Why? Crescent is that sure of Fearless’s power to deliver: to help you discover your next step, taken from and towards your best self and your true writing voice.
(For the a list of further upcoming Fearless Writing workshops, see public speaking calendar.)
So what about fear?
To truly use your misgivings, doubts, and fears— to actually be powered by them instead of avoiding or being paralyzed by them — takes not just abstract understanding but experience. That is why a longer Fearless is better: there’s more time to experience, and watch others experience, the remarkable shifts that come through perceptual shifts and writing practice.
The group travels to this — mostly joyfully and with a sense of surprise and delight — in a variety of ways.
A Fearless Writing workshop includes:
- twelve percepts which will change the way you write, and understand writing, forever
- irresistible in-class writing practices, including
- scavenger hunt writing
- found & fortune cookie poems
- dialogues & acrostics
- fan mail & hate mail
- and many, many more, each of which prove “the story wants to be told”
- student-centered discussion and interactive lecture
- optional reading aloud, and being read aloud read to
- a little improv and movement (in some retreats, guest instructors teach classes in yoga and NIA).
Varied but simple techniques; powerful results.
Your Fearless co-writers will be
the perfect group for you
The process is individual and private at its core, yet is always strengthened and enhanced by the unique make-up of the group. Each Fearless is made up of writers, would-be writers, and non-writers, all at varying levels of experience. This mix adds to the workshop’s power.
You can be sure that your Fearless Leader — that would be Crescent Dragonwagon — will push you and everyone else in the workshop.
You can also be certain she’ll do it respectfully: She’ll listen closely, working with you where you are as well as where you want to be (sometimes including discovering the later). You’ll move decisively towards your next step.
Her respect extends not just to individuals and the group, but towards the process itself. The result? You’ll leave inspired and recharged, with
- greater trust in your own abilities
- an eagerness to get to work
- many writing practices to help you through your individual sticky spots
- greatly enhanced individual clarity
- a renewed or rediscovered sense of purpose and direction in writing
Fearless avoids “workshop syndrome” (you get it until you get home, then it fades). Instead, each student is helped to to develop lasting skills for self-mentoring.
owning our stories, expertise, voices
Though Crescent has taught Fearless for years (in part because she still learns from it every time) she’s still amazed — as are her students — that something so much fun also turns what look like insurmountable obstacles into the material from which we write.
And not just write, but become more and more able build all-around thriving lives. Over and over, at the end of each workshop, Crescent hears, “It’s not just Fearless Writing, it’s Fearless Living!”
From writing to creativity; from creativity to life as a whole, Fearless is an overflowing cornucopia.