Fearless Writing™ is Crescent Dragonwagon’s flagship twelve-part writing-and-creativity program. It teaches you how to work with and overcome the inherent anxiety that surfaces for most creators when they sit down and try to actually bring into form the delectable ideas about which they’ve been cogitating, dreaming, and “mentally writing”.
Except there’s no such thing as “mentally writing” — the word for that process is thinking.
At this renowned breakthrough writing workshop, you’ll:
- find your authentic, one-of-a-kind voice — even when you’re not sure you have one
- find your juice — even when you think, “Oh, I’ll take a nap.”
- cozy up to your fears; get rock-solid about how to use them
- learn to “write your way out of it” and “write your way through it.”
- get jazzed and energized, even in these most uncertain and frightening of times
- surprise and delight yourself
- experience “creative community” … in class, but also, even, when you’re alone
- start, and finish what you start
- discover how to write the hard stuff
- experience the magic of practice
- dismantle procrastination; alchemize fear and reluctance into action and energy
Classes are live on Zoom, and include writing, lecture/discussions, and some pre-taped segments — all in Crescent’s easygoing, compassionate, tough-tender personable style.
In addition to our in-person workshop sessions, you’ll receive loads of other Fearless Writing™ resources, including:
- a private group Facebook page for use over the workshop session
- three months free membership in the Fearlessly Onward Facebook page (which includes alumni from previous Fearless Writing™ workshops, weekly Fearless Friday passed-on wisdom and commentary, and a monthly check-in/class)
- a password-protected resource page on Crescent’s website, from which you can print out class notes on each percept, information and how-tos on various writing forms, reading lists and helpful writing-and creativity- related links
- during the weeks we skip (for the holidays) lagniappe in the form of videos to keep you psyched in between times (these do not count as classes).
Unlike workshops where the glow lasts only as long as the workshop, you’ll leave with lasting self-mentoring skills and strengthened resilience. As you experience how Fearless works, it’s benefits spill over cornucopia-like. You’ll be better able to walk through the difficulties and setbacks inherent in writing — and in life.
Twelve Sunday afternoons, from 4:00 to 6:00 pm Central, starting on November 14, 2021; twelve percepts. The complete dates, and what we’ll dismantle on each one, follow.
Fearless Writing™ is built on twelve percepts.
What’s a percept? An idea that spark shifts in perception and understanding. Percepts have an oh-now-I-get-it quality, an ah-ha recognition leading to organic, ongoing shifts in thought, thinking, behavior, and ultimate outcome. Don’t confuse PERcepts with PREcepts: precepts are commandments, thou-shalt-not kinds of rules. Precepts are much less friendly, flexible and individual than percepts.
In addition to exploring one percept per session, we spend time writing, exploring twelve different forms, taught by Crescent in session.
- Sunday, November 14, 2021 / Why are some aspects of writing so scary, and what do we do with this? In Percept 1, we explore fear and develop powerful new ways to approach it.
- (No in-person classes the week on either side of Thanksgiving, but some Lagniappe — extra! You will receive a psych-up, stick-with-it instructional video to listen to at your convenience).
- Sunday, December 5, 2021 / In Percept 2, we look at the ways we stop ourselves, and our reasons; we learn how to stop stopping ourselves, and why we need both accelerators and brakes (but not simultaneously).
- Sunday, December 12, 2021 / In Percept 3, we examine and dismantle the I-Need-a-Guarantee-Other-People-Will-Approve-of-Me trap, and replace it with something far more powerful.
- (No more in-person classes till after the New Year, but more Lagniappe will be coming your way via email, for you to listen to at your convenience).
- Sunday, January 2, 2022 / In Percept 4, a secret which will teach you how to fall in love with the work itself…even when it’s hard and doesn’t seem to be going well.
- Sunday, January 9, 2022 / Can you learn to reach the famous “flow state”? Maybe; maybe not. In Percept 5, we’ll explore this, and learn how to show up, no matter what.
- Sunday, January 16, 2022 / In Percept 6, we’ll take a dive into the Specific Ocean. Craft, and writing well, the secrets of self-editing, revision, critiquing and being critiqued.
- Sunday, January 23, 2022 / We each have our own material and areas in which we are expert. In Percept 7, we’ll explore how to find and own this. “Write from experience,” they say. But what is experience, and how exactly do you write it?
- Sunday, January 30, 2022 / What if your material is or includes hard stuff? Atrocity, murder, abuse, emotional illness, war or Covid, death, grief, depression, oppression, prison, addiction? In Percept 8, we learn about writing your way through the things you never thought you could or would tell…as well as the challenge of writing happy material in a manner that’s emotionally engaging.
- Sunday, January 16, 2022 / In Percept 9, we get it together — we learn the simple arcane truths of becoming habitual working writers, no matter how little time we think we have, and how big our fears may be. We put into play the three-part secret of how to get good at anything, including writing.
- Sunday, January 30, 2022 / Every craft, every guild, requires the paying of dues. What are our dues as writers? In Percept 10, we look at this: what we can expect, how we can continue to develop and grow, practices and resources that will make our work ever more luminous.
- Sunday, February 6, 2022 / In Percept 11, we look at the whole enchilada; incorporating writing into the helter-skelter of life itself without becoming (as so many writers have), an alcoholic, an embittered person, or a starter-who-never-finishes.
- Sunday, February 13, 2022 / In Percept 12, our final percept, we integrate all this. And we end not with “closure” but with “openature” — a practice that is likely to keep you going even after you leave the lovely cocoon of our group and its structure.
Right in your own home, wherever you feel comfortable. Feel free to attend in your PJs (cup of hot chocolate optional). In this pandemic era, we are doing this by Zoomity-Zoom-Zoom-Zoom. You’ll receive the link each Sunday, about 30 minutes before class begins.
The class involves over 12 weeks of two hour classes, preparation and technical support. The cost per participant is $1750.00, which may be paid in any denomination that is comfortable for you, but has an enticement bonus of a lower price is paid in one payment for $1500.00
As always you may choose to pay all upon enrollment and save $250, or in monthly payments (described in the format below), or in various sized payments convenient to you that equal the total of $1750.00.
The button below allows a down-,payment towards the $1750.00 with a payment choice of whatever you’d like, to begin paying down the balance. Truly, it can be monthly, in segments, or what works for you: if you want to join us, we want you to be able to attend comfortably.